Saturday, September 17, 2016

Bunnie's first shed

I'd read that angoras don't have their first shed until 6 months. Maybe they meant don't shed "prime wool" because mine started shedding at around 3 months. Their wool looks a little short to be prime, closer to 2" than the 2.5-3.5" long prime fibers.

I've been borderline panic stricken at thought of trying to harvest 9 bunnies at once. Fortunately, everybody has been on their own schedule, so I never have more than 2 in full shedding mode at once. I normally spread it out over several sessions, with 2 peak harvests of about an hour each. So far I've only had one pee accident, after which I took to setting them on a folded towel, lol. Sitting on my bed with music playing makes it a little less like work and a little more relaxing fun for me. Fewer bunnies would really help with making it less like work, tho!

Here's a look at how it goes. Hydrox was the last to start shedding. Here he is before his first "plucking" session:

And here she is after 45 minutes or so. Enough wool to knit another bunny, lol!

 Here is Teddy Graham before his 2nd session:
 And here he is after an hour or so:
The bunnies really seem to enjoy the attention. They usually end up snuggled against me while I pluck. More pix to come. Nilla's wool is the best of the lot -- it may actually be long enough to be "prime" and is more like angel hair than wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment