Saturday, April 2, 2016

The bunnies' new digs!

After looking at the cost of bunny hutch kits (hundreds of dollars with poor reviews for safety or longevity!), I decided to build my own. So this winter I built them a mobile home. I was a little worried that the cart wouldn't be stable enough to hold them safely, so held my breath yesterday when I put them in for the first time. It's working fine! I made it from combination of scrap wood, 2 new pieces of 8x6, 1 2x5 1/2" hardware cloth, steel grids that I made them a quick indoor pen from over the winter and necessary hardware, on a garden cart.  All for a little over $100.

The overall hutch is 24x48 divided in half by 2 steel grids so the bunnies are separated but can see each other, sniff noses and snuggle in the winter. The roof isn't waterproof, but I have extra tarps most of the year, so can cover the hutch and pen as needed. Winters they'll stay warm and dry in a spare stall in the barn. The top opens in 2 pieces, so I can get hold of them easily from above. The front doors drop down and I will ultimately make them a ramp to allow access into a puppy pen divided in half by left over grids. I've determined it's cheaper to buy the puppy pen than build one. All told, they'll have 12 feet of living space each all for under $150!  Free choice access to grass in spring, summer and fall, with mobile quarters and a pen that I can drag around the yard will hopefully free me forever from the bulk of my lawn mowing!





No comments:

Post a Comment