Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sage, my lovebird

Sage has been with me for 12 years, purchased initially as an emergency companion for a fischer's lovebird who'd unexpectedly lost his wife, Peaches, to egg yolk peritonitis. Sage, a peachface, lived up to her name, showing great wisdom in her approach to the grieving Papaya.

It seems her fate has been to be 2nd wife. When Papaya died, she paired up with Saki the cockatiel, who'd recently lost his mate Sushi. When Joey, my peachfaced lovebird died, she paired up with his mate, Domingo the sun conure. After Domingo passed, Sage was part of my last trio of birds until I brought home a budgie, Periwinkle, this past February. She's always liked to sit on my head or on the back of my chair. Recently she'd taken to preening the back of my neck.

2 nights ago, Jerry bit Sage badly on the toe, and she very nearly bled out. She is in recovery now. It looks like the toe is lost; time will tell for sure. More important, Sage is in a pretty fragile state. She had already inexplicably lost considerable weight in the past couple weeks, so she may have already been starting into organ failure. She does seem comfortable now. She's ignoring her healthy foods, but I'm letting her feast on her fatty comfort foods: peanuts and millet spray, and hand feeding her some gatorade with Prime vitamins mixed in to at least help with dehydration from the blood loss. She likes to sit in her swing in the sun and gently rock most of the day.

In my nearly 30 years with birds, I've found that 4 days tells everything. They either make serious recovery, or they go down. So we have 2 more days to know which way she will go. My first senegal, Bennie, had a toe tip amputated and nearly bled out. He survived and lived another 10+ years, but he was much younger than she was (in senegal years) and he never regained his robust former self.

Sage resting in her hospital cage:



No comments:

Post a Comment