Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Snickerdoodles and the Bunny Mustache

So when I built the bunnies hutch, it didn't seem worth adding a 2nd pair of grids separating the 2 halves. There was barely a 3" gap between the top of the barrier and the ceiling. Their first days in the hutch I watched carefully and it certainly seemed out of reach of either of them to get up the 14" barrier and squeeze through the gap.

Ooopsie! Earlier this month -- at 6pm on May 10 to be exact -- I was feeding dinner and found Oreo canoodling with Snickers. After much reading, I determined he hadn't finished the deed -- apparently the guys stiffen and keel over afterward, sometimes with a scream. But I had no way of knowing how long he'd been with her, other than everything had been normal a few hours earlier when I checked on them at lunchtime.

So after much reading, I marked my calendar for critical dates: May 12-14 palpate for possible grape-sized fetuses; week of May 23rd watch for the "Mustache;" May 28 trim wool, make sure nails are clipped and smooth, put in nesting box and start checking the nest to see if she's "kindled."

May 12th, I dutifully attempted to palpate. I thought I found a raisin. On the 13th, I found 2 raisins. On the 14th I found 6 raisins and realized I was finding her nipples. I gave up on palpating.


On May 19th, I found a hole dug in her playpen, and she'd dug up the dead grass as well. Was she trying to cool off on a hot day? Or nesting?  I moved the pen. On May 21st a new hole appeared. I moved the pen again. Yesterday, two holes. I was watching more closely now; she didn't appear to be lying in the holes, just digging them.



I was going to be running errands today, with t-storm possible I decided to keep the bunnies in. This evening, I fed Snickers her pellets and hay first as usual. When I returned to the hutch with Oreo's hay, I found the confirmatory Mustache:

 I headed up to the house to get the camera, returned and she was still "wearing" the mustache. Yes, Snickers is almost certainly preggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment