Thursday, June 2, 2016

A bowl full of bunnies

So I woke up at 2:30 this morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. After lunch, and my 3rd cup of coffee, I was supposed to take some lettuce down to the bunnies and check on Snicker. Instead, I forgot and dozed off in front of netflix.

At 4:30 I roused myself and headed down to clean the barn and care for the bunnies. I opened Snickers hutch to check her pellets and hay supply and was startled to find bright red shavings here and there. And then realized she'd had her babies a bit earlier in the day than I'd anticipated. Forget late evening; it was only 5 in the afternoon. I saw 2 little gray squirmy things out on the cage grid...craps! The babies weren't in their nest! I immediately scooped them up -- still alive, but one was cold. I put them in the nest, where I discovered 2 more babies where they belonged. Ok...not the small litter of 2 I'd hoped for, but I can deal with 4.  I ran back up to the house and came back down with the small bowl. Filled it with some fur from the edges of her nest and then dug the babies out and put them in. The cold one was still cold. Then I noticed more little gray wrigglers scattered around the hutch. Holy craps! A 5th, a 6th, a 7th, and 8th! I lost count and wasn't sure if I stopped at 8 or, gulp, 9! The bowl was too small -- I heaped them on top of each other, covered them with some wool and raced up to the house with my hand holding them in the bowl.

 I laid them out on a heated towel. From their little waists I can tell they hadn't been fed. Actually, considering that 6 were out of the nest and only one was cold, they probably were only just born.
I put them back into the bowl under the wool and took them back down to their nest. While putting them back, I realized one was still cold, so I brought him back up to the house with me. It took multiple rounds of wrapping him in a towel heated in the microwave. I had 2 towels ready to go, so heated one while he lay wrapped in the other. I slipped a thermometer in with him while waiting for the first towel to heat. It stopped short of 85 degrees! He needed to get close to 102. With the towels heated, I couldn't tell exactly where his temperature was, but once he felt warm in my hand, I figured that was good enough to return him to his nest. I wrapped him in a freshly heated towel one last time for the return trip and stuffed him down in his nest with his siblings. Mom seems unsure of what to do. Hopefully she'll figure it out sooner rather than later. Thank goodness we have a good relationship...she comes right up to me for scritches and comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment