Saturday, June 4, 2016

First meals

Friday morning there was still no sign the babies had been fed. In the early afternoon I headed into the bunny stall to check on the babies. I had barely registered that Snickers was positioned on top of the nest and, before I could begin to back out, she'd jumped out. So I went ahead and spent a few minutes scritching her and vowed to leave them alone until evening.

That evening they still were unfed, so I positioned Snickers over them and distracted her with a couple pieces of lettuce. Within seconds the babies were squiggling around underneath her. They fed for at good 5 minutes, and then she groomed them quickly and left the nest. Most had full bellies, but the 2 smallest looked like they hadn't gotten enough. I weighed them in: the smallest was only 1.5 ounces. The rest ranged from 2 to 2.5 ounces

So Saturday morning, I put her on them again. Only a couple suckled for a couple minutes.

This evening I weighed them in again. My kitchen scale is not terribly precise, but the smallest weighed in at 1.75 ounces. The biggest was close to 3 ounces. Tonight they fed for less time than their first meal, but all bellies look good.

In the meantime, I saw this morning that they're now covered with peach fuzz. The grey babies have charcoal to black fuzz. The pink one is not white as I half expected, but coming in a lovely gold. I have no idea what she? will mature to...




No comments:

Post a Comment